Monday, April 20, 2009

The Color Line-Q's Part One

Please answer these questions below,
Score 5 if the statement is often true for you
3 if the statement is sometimes true for you
0 if the statement is seldom true for you.
PART ONE
Make sure you read the post above for Part Two.

1. I can easily choose to be in company of people of my race most of the time (in school, shopping, in a park or other public place).

2. If my family needs to move, we can be pretty sure of hassle-free renting or buying in a safe desirable neighborhood where we would want to live.

3. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasent to me.

4. I can go shopping by myself most of the time without being followed or harrased.

5. I can turn on the TV or open the front page of the paper and see many people of my race
represented in a positive way.

6. When I learn about our national heritage or about "civilization," in school and in the media, I am shown that people of my race made it what it is.

7. I can go into most supermarkets and find the staple foods which fit with my racial/ethnic traditions; I can go into any hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

8.I can count on my skin color not to work against me when I shop, whether I use checks, credit cards, or cash; store clerks assume that I have enough money to pay for my purchases.

9. I can swear or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, w/out having people say that these choices are due to the bad morals, or the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race.

10. I can do well in a challenging situation w/out being called a credit to my race. (EX. If I earn a school award, I am not identified as especially good or talented for a person of my race.)

11. I am never asked to speak for all of the people of my racial group.

1 comment:

  1. kay so just have to say, when was the last time you saw haggis OR goat stomachs in the super market??

    ReplyDelete