Sunday, April 12, 2009

Be the change

Change in racism and equal opportunities won't just come to us. We have to create them. Rosa Parks didn't wait for a white man to give up his seat. Martin Luther King Jr. didn't wait for someone else to decide to make the Civil Rights Act. Yes it is true that it is harder for people of a darker complexion to be successful in life, yes it is true that a white person is more likely to get the higher paying job then a black person. But even though this is true, it doesn't mean we should wait around for this to change. I don't like taking credit but right now, I am not waiting for someone else to notice that their is an unjust in the book world, I have created a blog to have more people become aware of that fact, and I don't plan to stop here.
I am also aware that there is a bigger population of white people in America then other races, even though those numbers are becoming more equal, there isn't anything within my power to change that. So maybe that is something I just have to wait for-but I can get ahead before those numbers even out. I am not going to wait to discuss and write stories equalizing and discussing race.
Also, I would like to point out that even though those numbers in poverty are mainly people of dark complexion and so forth, that doesn't mean that there aren't successful black, Asian, Latino ect. people out there. I mean AHEM, I am more then half white, plus my dad, all my relitives, my principal and teachers, I can name so many-not to mention the people I don't know personally. So there is not an excuse to not write about a successful black person right now.

1 comment:

  1. Thank u! u r completely rite. WE have to be the change. as our former president once said, "if not us, who? if not now, when?" i think that quote completely sums up what ur trying to say.
    [[yes im a dork and i'm proud.]]
    SO. just a little FYI
    at south on thursday i think, for the current students [[like me! go tigers]] there is a play/presentation about sexim, racism, and homophobia. It's going to be all about opening our minds and hearts to be considerate and tolerant and more. they'll probably talk about stuff like how using gay as a synonym for stupid is wrong and using the 'n' word and other disrespectful stuff. I for one hope they talk about how these things exist in reality and how we can change it.
    thats all, i guess.

    ReplyDelete