Saturday, July 25, 2009

YA book covers vs. YA BLACK book covers

The other day a friend showed me this article on a racial dispute over the cover of a YA novel. The novel, Liar by Justine Larbalestier, is a story about a black girl-but dispite that, the cover is of a white girl. Justine says she argued with editors and sale reps who say that black covers don't sell well and more then a few accountants won't take books with black covers. The idea that this may be very well a fact is proof of racism in YA books today. Have a look at the article (posted by Cory Doctorow) and please comment on what you think. Here is a link is you are having trouble getting to the website.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/23/race-and-book-covers.html

1 comment:

  1. I think it is not right, and it shows just how diluted everyone is. For people to choose a book of a black girl with a white girl on the front...that to me is just, just, I can't even describe how I feel about that, but I think you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete